2017: DevOps way
- DevOps as Code
- Pipeline – the ultimate cultural tool
- Delivering changes for databases (including databases in the DevOps routine)
- Data masking
- Data generation
- Redgate SQL Source Control
- Migrations vs State
- Jenkins 2
- Travis CI
- VSTS Build
- Octopus Deploy (@ Linux)
- VSTS Release Management
- Elastic stack (Logstash, Elastic Search, Kibana)
- Azure Resource Manager
- Web Apps
- SQL Database
- The basics – resources creation, configuration, management
- SQL Source Control
- DLM Automation
- DLM Dashboard
- SQL Clone
- SQL Monitor
Looking at this roadmap and thinking about what I was able to do, the first improvement is: making smaller roadmaps, I need to be more focused on the covered subjects.
- This year the discussion around DevOps was about it’s implementation (“how to get Devops!?”).
- I dedicated lot of time and effort talking and writing about the deployment pipeline as a cultural and technical organization tool.
- The same happen with the how and the why database changes should be included in deployment pipeline together with application development.
- Data masking – topic not covered (but since in 2018 GDPR is arriving I will comeback to this topic).
- Data generation – topic not covered.
- Continuous Integration
- Gained a good knowledge and experience using TeamCity.
- Continued to deepen my VSTS build knowledge.
- Made the first approach to TravisCI and AppVeyor.
- Configuration Management
- Made a good introduction in the use of Puppet.
- Created the ELK stack – single node and cluster.
- Gained a good knowledge about Azure Monitor, Applications Insights.
- Made an introduction to Datadog and NewRelic.
- Deepened my Azure knowledge (PaaS approach)
- Made the introduction to AWS and CloudFormation.
- I’m now able to make a basic comparison between the two cloud providers.
At professional level it was a good adaptation year working at Basecone (different cultures, different way of working).
As a speaker I made my first international experience in WinOps London conference.
And in my personal life my family just got bigger – my son Vasco born in the summer (June 3rd).